Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- On Tuesday, AT&T won court approval to purchase Time Warner Inc. for $85 billion.
- AT&T is one of the world's largest telecommunications companies. Time Warner controls popular content including HBO, TBS, TNT and CNN.
- The deal was first announced in October 2016. Trump, still a candidate, vowed that he would try to block the deal.
- In November 2017, the Justice Department sued AT&T on anti-trust grounds. The Justice Department said that its decision was not influenced by the White House.
- Yesterday, Judge Leon dismissed the case by issuing a 172-page opinion. He argued that the Justice Department did not present sufficient evidence to support its claim that the vertical merger would harm competition.
- Many say that this decision clears the way for Comcast to challenge Disney by bidding for 21st Century Fox.