The Quick Facts
- Last night was the 61st Grammy Awards ceremony, hosted by 15 Grammy award-winner Alicia Keys.
- The Recording Academy is coming off a rocky year, dealing with the fallout from president Neil Portnow's comment after last year's show that women in music should "step up" if they want recognition, as well as some general industry-wide criticism over the Academy's failure to recognize and reward diverse artists.
- This year, Kacey Musgraves won Album of the Year for Golden Hour, and Childish Gambino won Song of the Year for “This is America.”
- Other major awards were given to Cardi B, Dua Lipa, and Drake. Notable appearances and performances included Michelle Obama, Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Dolly Parton.
- Some of the music industry’s biggest stars were not in attendance last night, including Ariana Grande, Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, the Carters and Kanye West. Drake made a surprise appearance, but took aim at the Grammys with his acceptance speech, telling young artists “you don’t need this right here,” while gesturing to his trophy.