Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- Two weeks ago, Elon Musk’s company SpaceX successfully launched a batch of 60 internet communications satellites from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.
- The cluster of satellites— part of a system called Starlink— are now orbiting the Earth, and Musk has confirmed that they are online.
- The ultimate goal of the Starlink satellite system will be to provide high-speed internet to parts of the world that currently are largely cut off from the modern digital world.
- SpaceX hopes to launch hundreds more similar satellites by next year, and ultimately add thousands.
- The satellite launch has caused some controversy, as some scientists worry the Starlink system will eventually interfere with observation of the night sky, or cause dangerous space debris.