Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- Yesterday, December 19th, President Trump announced that he will be pulling all 2,000 U.S. troops out of Syria.
- The U.S. first deployed ground troops to Syria in 2015 to battle ISIS and train Syrian rebel forces.
- The president declared the mission accomplished, tweeting yesterday: “We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency.”
- U.S. officials said many details of the troop withdrawal had not yet been finalized, but they expect American forces to be out by mid-January.
- President Trump’s decision, which took many lawmakers in Congress by surprise, has immediately triggered demands by top Democrats and Republicans for more information and a formal briefing.