Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- Angela Merkel has served as Chancellor of Germany for 13 years, since 2005. She is Europe's longest-serving leader.
- Merkel has served as Chairwoman of her conservative political party, the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), since 2000. On Monday, she announced that she will give up her Chairwoman position in December.
- In the same speech, Merkel shared that she will not seek re-election for a fifth term as Chancellor. She is slated to remain in the role until 2021.
- Merkel stated that, "with this decision, I am trying to contribute to allowing the government to concentrate its strength, finally, on governing well — and people rightly demand that.”
- Merkel's announcement came after her party suffered heavy losses in two state elections.