Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- This week, U.S. Representative Katie Hill announced her resignation from Congress. Hill is a freshman congresswoman from California, and one of the few openly bisexual members of Congress.
- Hill’s resignation comes amid an ethics probe, after reports of alleged sexual indiscretions with a congressional staffer and an admission to a relationship with a campaign aide.
- The House ethics committee had launched an investigation into the allegation that Hill had an inappropriate relationship with an aide in her congressional office, which is prohibited under House rules. Hill has denied this claim, but did admit to an inappropriate relationship with a campaign staffer before becoming a representative.
- In addition to the media story, nude photos of Hill were published by a conservative political blog and a British tabloid. Hill called the release of the photos a “weaponized” invasion of privacy and vowed to advocate for victims of revenge porn.
- In her last speech before Congress on Thursday, Hill said that there was a "double standard" and "misogynistic culture" that resulted in her decision to step down from her position when faced with allegations of an improper relationship with a staff person.