Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- In Tuesday’s State of the Union address, President Trump offered a pointed attack at socialism, casting it as a danger to American society.
- The president stated: “Here in the United States, we are alarmed by new calls to adopt socialism in our country. Tonight, we resolve that America will never be a socialist country.”
- The remarks are viewed by many as a response to progressive policy initiatives being touted by notable Democratic lawmakers, such as a 70 percent tax rate, tuition-free college, and Medicare for all.
- Last fall, the president’s economic advisors issued a report entitled “The Opportunity Costs of Socialism,” which similarly took aim at some of the economic policies supported by Democrats in the U.S.
- In an interview after the State of the Union, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who describes herself as a democratic socialist, defended her stances, saying: “Every single policy proposal that we have adopted and presented to the American public has been overwhelmingly popular, even some with a majority of Republican voters supporting what we're talking about."