Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- This week, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson suffered major defeats in Parliament in regards to his pro-Brexit agenda.
- With the Brexit deadline fast approaching, Johnson implemented a temporary suspension of Parliament, which would effectively force the UK into a no-deal Brexit.
- In response, Parliament quickly passed legislation before the suspension kicked in. The new legislation will force Johnson to ask for an extension to the Brexit deadline and attempt to renegotiate a new deal.
- In the process, 21 members of Johnson’s party defected, causing him to lose his majority and the vote.
- The defeat led Johnson to call for an early general election on Oct. 15th. Whether or not he is granted an election remains to be seen, though Parliament did vote down his first call for one today.