Abridge Newsjust landed in the App Store.
The Quick Facts
- The federal government is on the brink of a partial government shutdown, which would begin this Friday, December 21st. The shutdown would affect about one-quarter of the government.
- The White House is insisting that Congress provide $5 billion in order to build the U.S./Mexico border wall, funding that congressional leaders are currently refusing.
- Democrats have proposed allocating no more than $1.6 billion to fund the wall, and it does not appear that President Trump has the Republican votes to get his full $5 billion.
- Republicans remain hopeful they can come up with a proposal that can be acceptable to Trump and pass both chambers.
- The Senate goes back into session today, and the House will return Wednesday night.